Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What goes away comes back.

This is true especially in these times when social networking glues everyone so tightly. We are so addicted that even though we want to, we can not stay away from logging on to facebook or orkut or linkedln and God knows what. That reminds me how (for the lack of words) pathetic the creator of facebook was ... I fail to understand how anything that's idea was impregnated in a drunken / jealous state can bring any good to anyone. But I go with it. In stopped using facebook for a while after watching the movie - Social Network. It reminded me of all the jerks I met during academics. May be that is one of the reason why I am so scared to return to academics. Jerks, pathetic jerks with no empathy to anyone except their own will and survival - and they call themselves "hip".

And I am not saying having that strong will and vision is a bad thing. In fact it is very crucial to every good thing one ever does. Exactly three years ago, sitting by the window on a 17th floor (that is important and but is a story for another time) building in Wellington, NZ, clearing off a closet full of books and hardware and DVD's with colleague Nishant Garg, I wondered what happened to the people who were here in this before me. And I wondered at that point if I will ever be one of those who will be wondered about by the ones who come later. Years later I find myself in that position - the position when a group of people come together at inception of a project. I did not know everything about it, nor did I have enough skills to go about it. But slowly people started coming in and collectively we would establish something, something that may be will be wondered on by someone in later years. They may appreciate us or they may curse us, but that will be a different story.

All the brainstorming, all the collaboration, all the late nights, all the ideas - blood and sweat - so to say, makes what one were ideas on paper, alive and tangible. In time, you work on it further and refine it, as with anything else. It is an amazing experience like directing a play almost. I have not been thinking about the stage for about 2 years now. That was once so close to my heart. Thinking of an idea and trying to bring into life by collaboration is all that was about. think I have not been missing it sorely because that (in idea) is what I am doing at my work now. It is not the vocation but the craft I am in love with, and I think addicted to :). As in all ventures, people come and people go. Some are missed dearly and good times become memories. May be years later you hear about it and think - oh yes WE created that. It is also very interesting how important the stability and strength of the leader is, but more on that later.

Song:

No comments:

Post a Comment